THROUGH THE TEARY EYES OF GINA

It's a wetty evening with an unforgiving cold breeze shrilling to the marrow. The sun has barely been seen throughout the day and neither the moon though its evening time.

The hand of the clock says 7pm and my main work for the day just began a while ago. The instruction before leaving home was loud and clear, "Sell two bags of water else no money for you tomorrow". Within the past 30minutes that I've meandered through the thick traffic light here at the 37-Operbea road however, only 2 sachets have been bought. From the small kiosk where i have taken cover from the rains, I wonder if anymore will be bought.

I wish to go home, but when the instruction given me by Mrs Arthur resonates, i think more of selling the water than to return home. For the past 11years, I've had to contend with circumstances like this.

Having lost my parents at a very tender age, it became necessary to go live with my uncle, lawyer Arthur and wife Mrs. Angela Arthur. The excitement I had knowing I will be relocating to their place 12years ago was very strong; atleast I hoped for a good time and a better future. First few months in the house was reassuring of that hope.

With the passage of time however, attitude towards me started changing, my task in the house increased and a promise by my uncle to take me to school hitherto became a mirage.

I perform virtually all the house chores and take charge of task which ideally my cousins in the house should be doing. I have watched them grow, steadily going through the educational ladder and would excel at my expense.

Whatever the situation, it has been a privilege living with the Arthur family and all the enormous chores I perform are normal responsibilities for a child of my age. Mrs Arthur had made that clear to me and mere thought of that fills me with sadness, sometimes with teary eyes.

Unfortunately, I dont know how best i can escape from this hardship. Perhaps you could be of help with ideas for my freedom but well, only if you feel all I have been going through now is normal for a child of my age.

"Hardly does the hunter tell his exploits in the forest" a Ghanaian adage goes and so not everything I have gone through in the house is what I can say for now. My only quest, however, is for other children not to be maltreated in ways that I have been.

Children deserve support for the best start in life irrespective of any circumstance they may find themselves. Peace!!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BAKED CLAY, A POISONOUS SUBSTANCE FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION

WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION FOR LOVE?

4 STEPS TO BUILD A PERSONAL BRAND